Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Puppies

Well, for those of you who may not know, I used to raise guide dog puppies for Guide Dogs of America, back when I lived in California. I started when I was 12, and raised 5 (and a half) puppies for the program. My last dog was the famous Camry, who became a breeder for the program. It was around the time she was selected for the breeding colony that I became a trainer at GDA. That put all puppy raising on hold.

When Jake and I got married, we tossed around the idea of puppy raising. we weren't planning on doing it for a while. We still had two dogs and a tiny apartment, and making it three would be absolutely insane. Plus, I was happy with my two girls. I didn't really miss the whole puppy raising scene.

Fast forward 7 months. I now live in Maine, I have 1 dog and 1 kitty, and I am getting The Itch. That all familiar puppy itch that a puppy raiser knows only too well.

I have different responsibilities now and, as much as I would like to, I cannot just jump back in to the puppy raising scene. The only guide dog school I could raise for is Guiding Eyes for the Blind. I have looked at their website SO many times. I have talked to Jake about it occasionally, but never deciding anything. I talked to him again last night and he said I could email GEB with my questions.

So this morning I found the email for the Regional person in Maine. I emailed her a huge email full of questions that I had. She replied, and of course, i replied with another gigantic email.

While things are still up in the air, and Jake and I will have a lot of praying to do, I am excited at this possibility. I would SO love to be a puppy raiser again. Of course, I have to keep my head on straight. Jake's job pays the bills, yes. But if we want all the "extras", I'd have to get a job. Plus, I want a job! So if I were to raise a puppy, it would be back to the "well I can only take such and such job that will take a puppy". Or, I could just crate the puppy during the day. Who knows.

All this to say... maybe, just maybe, there will be a little puppy, in a little puppy in training jacket, in my house someday.

2 comments:

  1. Just the possibility is heartwarming! I hope it works out for you to be able to raise and certainly understand the financial aspect of deciding to raise. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly under the financial part of the decision! We couldn't afford to raise when we raised Eclipse and then Eola and we just recently got into a position both financially and housing-wise that was real conducive to raising! I hope you get it figured out so it works!

    ReplyDelete